For years I have used the Jiffy Brand cornbread mix because when I had tried a couple different recipes I wasn’t happy with making it from scratch, but cornbread is the perfect combination for soup…which we eat a lot of in our house since it is so easy to pile in the veggies in one meal and not have to cool for the week…so in my heart I knew that someday I would create my own.
I knew this lady that loved to cook and she had asked me over for lunch. When I got there she told me that she had been out of milk when she made her cornbread so she used yogurt. Yogurt?!
You know what? I LOVED IT!
When I was ready to create my own recipe I started comparing recipes to see what was similar and what I liked best and, as you know, if you have looked for recipes, they commonly have regular flour in it. The first batch was ok…but I was still tweaking. Then I found out that my friend Jamie Holloway had learned she was gluten intolerant so I added that to my list of ideas…a few batches later it was perfect!
I hope you enjoy this easy and healthy version of Cornbread…even if you don’t have a problem digesting gluten!
- Cornmeal 2 cups
- Raw Sugar or Evaporated Cane Juice 3 tbsp
- Baking Powder 1 ½ tsp
- Baking Soda ½ tsp
- Sea Salt ½ tsp
- Organic Cinnamon 2 tsp
- Black Pepper ½ tsp
- Eggs 2 (beaten)
- Greek Yogurt 2 cups
- Fresh or Frozen and Thawed Corn 1 cup
- Coconut Oil 1/3 cup (melted) (I have also used Avocado Oil)
- Preheat oven to 425°.
- Grease 8 inch pan or your preferred pan with coconut oil.
- In a large bowl combine Cornmeal, Sugar, Baking Powder, Baking Soda, Salt, Cinnamon and Black Pepper.
- Add Beaten Eggs, Yogurt, Corn and Coconut Oil.
- Mix all ingredients well.
- Pour into pan and bake 20-25 minutes.
- Optional: Put pats of butter on top and bake for another 10 minutes.
- Let cool 10 minutes before serving.